Monday 1 February 2016

China Day 8 - Monday 1st February 2016

Hilarious! Last night Steve and Tim took me to the KTV. They have been teaching and tomorrow is the first day of the Chinese New Year holiday and they have fifteen days off. The first karaoke we went to we got set up in the room with snacks and beers and karaoke and then the chief came in and told us there were no hostesses available (because of the pending Spring Festival aka Chinese New Year), so we got into a taxi and went to another one - they are in clusters all over the city. We paid 200RMB for the room and then 100RMB each for two hours company. Lots of singing, drinking and playing dice (no vid). Never played this game before but it is about two cups of six dice, the dice with the one spot counts as a joker. After you shake you can see your dice but not the dice of the other person and you have to brag about how many of a particular number you can make (including using the dice from the other persons). You brag in turns until you are called. Got home about 4am.

This morning was what you might call a slow start. I had a WeChat message from Steve to come over to his market - I needed to buy some warm clothes - so we went to the market and I bought boots, thermal longjohns and top as well as some fresh dates and berries. Steve lives on the East of the city South of the river and the DanDong market is North East. Later he took me to a restaurant close by his flat where we had donkey dumplings. yes a bit of a taboo buster for me but I found it easier to achieve than with the sheeps testicles. Later we went up to his flat on the 18th Floor and he made some cupcakes for the New Year vacation while I watched Kingsman on his media system. Then a very strange thing happened. The doorbell rang and the water man arrived with his wares and I had a sudden realisation that I was in China (I had forgotten?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment